Exquisite Corner

'Exquisite' means of such beauty or delicacy as to arouse intense delight .A food that's creative, thoughtfully prepared, beautifully presented and easy to eat makes it absolutely delicious.On this corner,I have tried to recollect the spicy memories and food that I have enjoyed, a delicacy that still persist on the corner of my heart.Hope you too will enjoy it. Bon Appetit !

Pages

Sunday, June 26, 2011

Noolkol Thoran / Noolkol Stir Fry

Noolkol , is German turnip.The name comes from German Khol (cabbage) and Rubi-Rabi(Swiss German variant )(turnip).  It can be eaten raw as well as cooked. It's also called Kohlrabi. Kohlrabi is one of the most commonly eaten vegetables in Kashmir,locally called monj. 
This vegetable which is similar to cabbage heart, is actually a member of cabbage family. It is low in calories and high in dietry fiber.


Ingredients
  1. Noolkol - 5 medium sized (finely chopped)
  2. Green chilly - 2 No:s(cut lengthwise)
  3. Coconut - 1 cup(grated)
  4. Chilly powder - 1 tspn
  5. Turmeric powder - 1/4 tspn
  6. Cumin seeds - 1/2 tspn
  7. Coconut oil - 1/2 tbspn
  8. Whole red chilly - 2 No:s
  9. Curry leaves - 1 sprig
  10. Mustard seeds
  11. Salt

How to make
Heat a wok / kadai .Pour coconut oil and add whole red chilly,splutter mustard seeds,curry leaves . Add chopped noolkol and green chilly. Saute for 2-3 minutes. Cover and cook well in low flame. Give it a stir once in between otherwise it will stick to the bottom of the kadai.Crush the 3-6 ingredients either using a mixer or by hand. When the noolkol is well cooked add salt and saute for 1 minute and then add the crushed coconut mix. Cover the kadai and cook for 3-4 minutes so that the raw taste of the powders leave.
Serve with rice.


Go back to Exquisite Corner

4 comments:

  1. You know I always used to wonder what to do with this vegetable when I see it in stores :-) Thanks Divya, now I will definitely try it out...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the post dear...It was my colleague who introduced me to this vegetable. I too didnt know what to cook with this. This time when I went to the store I had made up my mind to buy Noolkol and try a stir fry.To my surprise it came out well and my family enjoyed the meal with this side dish... :-) It tastes like cabbage...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This vegetable improves the insulin production and we can eradicate sugar problem in earlier stage itself, if we take 300 gms raw every day ( with out cooking )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by...

    Also thank you for the valuable info...

    ReplyDelete